Before the baptism of their first child parents must attend a Baptismal preparation program. Godparents are also invited to attend the program. The program is created to assist parents and godparents in their preparation for the Baptism of their child before he or she is born. It offers the parents and godparents the opportunity to be properly instructed in the meaning of the sacrament and its obligations.
Please call the parish office to find out the dates of the Baptismal preparation program, to schedule the Baptism, or if you have any questions.
A candidate for Baptism must have at least one godparent, or sponsor. Godparents or sponsors for the Sacrament of Baptism must obtain a certificate of eligibility from the parish in which they are currently registered verifying that they meet the following requirements:
- They are16 years of age or older.
- They are fully initiated Catholics having received the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist.
- If married, their present marriage must be valid, i.e. recognized as being valid by the Church.
- They are actively practicing Catholics, attending mass regularly, participating in the life of the parish, and supporting their parish family.
– The godparent cannot be the mother or the father of the one to be baptized.
– There can be two godparents, a man and a woman.
– A baptized non-Catholic cannot be a godparent, but can be admitted as a Christian witness to the Baptism.
– If you are not registered at Holy Spirit Parish, you will have to obtain permission from the parish in which you are currently registered for a baptism to be celebrated at Holy Spirit.
– Photographs and video-taping of the celebration are allowed as long as the holiness of the space and the sacredness of the liturgy are respected.
– Adults who wish to be baptized are asked to call the Religious Education Office to arrange for participation in the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA).